Another skirt from a thrift store. This one was a bit expensive (for a thrift store anyway) at 14.99, but you can’t go wrong with a nice black skirt. It’s got a a crochet like top layer that is so pretty, and adds a lot of depth to the plain black:
When I bought it I thought it was a good length, sitting just over my knees. However, ever time I tried it on I couldn’t escape the feeling that it looked more funeral-y than flirty.
Once again I broke out my scissors to do some reworking. As you can see in the picture above the crochet pattern changes about 6 inches from the bottom. I decided to try to chop off the bottom and give the skirt a new hem.
When I cut off the bottom I was left with the edge shown below. The right half has been trimmed, leaving just the loose threads.
The loose ends were actually loose, and had to be sewn down by hand.
Here is the edge, once all the modifications were done. It worked out better than I could have hoped, the edge has a pretty scallop and the length is just right.
I also had to bring up the underskirt, which was a simple enough hem. I just cut off all the extra fabric, ironed a double folded to encase the raw edge and sewed it up.